Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Taking Credit For Versus Taking Pride In - Ministry & Business Marketing, Media and Strategy Blog

First, greetings to the many folks from mainland China, Korea, and throughout Asia who are stopping by our blog. Thanks to you and our other visitors from around the world. I'm truly excited to see the Lord expand our audience across the globe.

Think back to your school days. Mine were filled with crushes on girls who weren't interested, spending what little money I had on baseball cards, and feigning sickness so I could stay home to watch The Price is Right and The Family Feud.

Thankfully, my mom usually saw through my charade and sent me to school. There my teachers taught me not to plagiarize or otherwise steal and take credit for someone else's work.
As I pondered this while cleaning the kitchen yesterday, the Lord hit me with this: if we teach our kids not to take credit where credit isn't due, why don't we practice the same in ministry and in business?

Think of your latest ministry or corporate success? Then consider the Spirit-inspired words of the Apostle James: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." Next, ponder that God sends harvest-producing rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. Even if you're not a Christian, God is graciously providing for you.

(By the way, if you're not a Christ-follower, time is not on your side to confess you're a rebel from God and turn to Him through His Son Jesus Christ. I digress...)

Perhaps no other experience teaches you to recognize the clear work of God on your behalf like being a ministry fundraiser or owning a business.

I hate to admit it, but I'm a closet fundraiser. That's right, a fundraiser. I cringe even as I pen those words. Not that I don't like helping people tell their ministry story. I just don't appreciate the tendency in fundraising work to take credit for the clear provision of Jehovah Jireh.

Once upon a time, my job was to travel the States raising funds for Christian ministry. When cash came in, I was "clearly gifted." When times were lean, my bosses questioned what I was doing with my time. I found it to be a most-vexing situation.

God used that time to teach me to trust Him more--a lesson I'm definitely still learning. He also used my fundraising days to instill in me a real conviction to give God credit for the things He's done. This doesn't mean that I can't take pride in my work and all the successes God brings in my walk with Him. (see Galatians 6:4) It simply entails not plagiarizing God's work by passing it off as my own.

Reflect on your business or your vocational ministry. Are you actively seeking to glorify God through your efforts and to give Him the glory for your success? Or are you content simply to thank Him for your talents and the money & people He brings your way, with a secret nod to your own greatness. Confidence in the Spirit's calling and gifting is biblical. (see Ephesians 3:1-12) Trusting in yourself and proffering God's work as your own is foolish and destructive. (see Proverbs 28:26)

As co-laborers with Christ in church, parachurch, and workplace ministry, we should take pride in God and in His work in our lives. But we must not plagiarize the clear work of God by celebrating ourselves as the source of the success He brings.

Gotta go. The Price is Right is coming on down...

Add Ministry and Business Marketing, Media and Strategy blog to Technorati


0 comments: